Thursday, February 28, 2013

Jameson in the hospital

While I was in the hospital I had a pediatrician (not my own) come in and pretty much yell at me that Cash should stay away from the baby.  He said if that baby gets sick with a fever of  100.4, he will have to be admitted to the hospital, have a spinal tap and he could die!  He was very HARSH.  Well not that Jameson's illness was due to his brother but Jameson DID end up sick and in the hospital.  It started out with a night of sheer misery.  Jameson wouldn't sleep, he wouldn't eat, he sounded congested.  The next morning I was a little worried so I took his temperature.  To my terror it went instantly to 100.4 degrees.  Panic mode kicked in and I called my Mom and Geoff who both said they were on their way.  I called his pediatrician who said take him to the Emergency Room.  It was very scary for me.  Geoff and I took Jameson to the Saddleback Emergency room and waited.  They ran blood tests, sucked mucus from his nose and came to the conclusion he had RSV.  I was informed he would have to be taken to CHOC hospital in Mission Viejo via ambulance.  I wasn't allowed to drive him myself.  The process of getting what they call a "life line" in was awful! The Saddleback ER has no business handling babies let alone newborns.  They tried to use a adult size catheter in my newborn son.  They couldn't get a line  in his hands or feet, they had blown all the veins in all 4.  The NICU nurse turned white when she saw what they were trying to use and were doing.  I don't want to get into it about the scum that took care of my son that day but God sent 3 angels when the ambulance came from CHOC.  They were so loving, attentive and compassionate to Jameson.  They snuggled him and gave him love like he was their own.  They were reassuring to Geoff and I and very calming for us.  I got to ride in the ambulance with Jameson and Geoff followed in our car. 
When we got to the room they told us we were in quarantine because Jameson's illness was contagious.  The Dr.s went over what their plan was and he was hooked up to lots of machines to monitor his oxygen levels, heart rate etc.  Jameson's Dr. informed me that if my son so much as looks at him the wrong way or he gets a funny feeling, he will have a spinal tap.  he said he didn't want to alarm me but with him being under 1 months of age this was serious.  He said he was shocked Saddleback didn't follow protocol and if we had come to Mission CHOC they would have done the spinal tap anyway.  It was alarming to hear but it needed to be said.  All that kept ringing in my ear was that Pediatrician when Jameson was born.  Thank God we caught the RSV early and didn't require much treatment other than Motrin and some other mild things.  We were able to go home after 2 days.  The staff at CHOC are probably the most wonderful people on the face of the earth.  They were so accommodating.  One of the first things they said was we have financial aid donated to the hospital, so if you don't have great medical insurance, don't think "what's this going to cost"  It wasn't an issue for us, but still very calming to hear.  Not only was Jameson taken care with the most wonderful care, we were cared for as well.  It was a very good experience during a awful experience.
 
 

 

Blanket given to Jameson by CHOC volunteers




 


No comments:

Post a Comment